Are you planning to build a new garage? Are you confused about whether or not you will need planning permission for a garage?
If yes, then this article is all you need to clear all your doubts. If you have ever circled multiple times for a parking space in an urban city then I can say with no doubt that you know the value of having a personal space for parking on your property.
Well, a garage is not only used for parking but can also use for storage or your hobbies like a workout room or woodwork. If you have enough space and budget for making a garage, then building a garage will provide you with a great resale advantage over your neighbouring houses who do not have a garage.
So, do you need planning permission for a garage? Your answer lies within this article. Not only that I will be answering questions like do you need planning permission for a brick-built garage? Do you need planning permission for a lean-to garage? Hope it will help you.
Do You Need Building Regulations For A Garage?
Building a new garage attached to your existing home will require building regulation approval. Though if the attached garage is open on at least two sides and is less than 30 square meters in floor area then you do not need any building regulation approval. Now if we talk about a detached garage then you do not need a building regulation approval under few conditions:
- If the floor area of the detachers garage is equal to or less than 15 square meters.
- If the floor area of the garage is between 15 square meters to 30 square meters, also should be at least 1 meter away from any boundary, or if it constructs substantially of non-combustible materials.
What Is The Biggest Garage I Can Build Without Planning?
One can build a garage without planning if their garage has a reasonable size that is the garage has to be less than 4 meters. Also, keep in mind that the garage cannot occupy half of the property around your original house. The garage must look almost the same from the outside. There are still more exceptions where planning permission require so it is better if you contact your local planning authority or visit the planning portal before taking any further steps.
How Do You Get Planning Permission For A Garage?
To apply and get planning permission for building a garage, you need to keep in mind some factors that your garage must have:
- The garage should not use for living space. This means that it only should use as parking space or storage which does not include beds or similar furniture that one uses for inhabitants. If anyone is planning for a garage conversion then obviously the first thing which will strike your mind is “do u need planning permission for a garage conversion?”. Well yes, you need separate planning permission for converting your garage.
- The floor of the garage is less than 15 square meters if it is a detached garage.
- If the garage is attached to the main house then the floor of the garage should be less than 15 square meters. Provided that the whole garage is must be constructed from no flammable materials and should be located 1-meter away from any boundary like walls or fences.
Do You Need Planning Permission To Build A Wooden Garage?
Some people build a wooden garage for saving their money or sometimes when they can’t afford to build a concrete garage. So a question might arise, “do you need planning permission for a wooden garage?” You do not normally need permission it and it does not depend on whether you plan to have an attached garage or a detached garage.
But it should abide by some rules as follows:
- The height should not be more than 4 meters or higher than the roof of the building.
- Construction materials are consistent with the appearance of the existing structure.
- A single floored extension should not extend more than 3 meters more than the rear wall.
- The garage should not include any balconies or verandas.
Keep in mind that if you are planning to build an oaked framed garage then you will need planning permission. Building a wooden garage is very simple as you can find all the garage kits on the market construction itself is easy. And adding an oak framed garage to your property will provide you with more benefits.
Firstly, and most obviously, you will get extra space for parking and storage, and secondly, it will improve the appearance of your property.
Finally, the value added to your property by the addition of a garage far outweighs the cost of construction.
Do I Need Planning Permission For A Garage Conversion?
One may think to convert their garage to increase living space, so you may have a doubt, Do you need planning permission for a garage UK or not? If your work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building then you do not need any planning permission. So when do you need planning permission to convert a garage? If you are planning to enlarge the building or adding any external work such as adding windows etc then you will need it.
You must need planning permission if your property falls in the following criteria:
- If your property is among the listed buildings.
- The permitted development rights have been removed from your property.
- The previous planning permission of your house restricts the use of the garage except for parking.
- If you are planning to use the converted garage for business purposes.
- Lastly, if your property falls in the conservation area.
If you are planning to build a garage then I advise you to contact a professional such as the local planning authority or visit the planning portal to find out whether or not you need planning permission or not. So what do u say,” do you need planning permission for a garage?” well, it completely depends on your location, your house, and other factors which I described above in the article. Hope this article helped you.
BEST OF LUCK!!!