Planning Permission For Adding Extra Space To Your Flat

Planning Permission for Adding Extra Space to Your Flat

Planning Permission For Adding Extra Space To Your Flat

Loft conversions and house extensions are great ways to add extra living space. You must be asking your floor planner in London for the designs of the new additional space. Most of the time, loft conversion and extension of a house to a specific extent are considered as permitted development. But what if you live in a flat or a maisonette?  For flat or maisonette, these types of works do not fall under permitted developments. You will have to seek planning permission before proceeding to make any changes to those properties.

Most flats are owned through leaseholds. So, you may need the freeholder’s consent to make any changes. For those, you will need a floor plan and a lease plan. So, this may be a little more hassle than necessary, but it does not mean that you cannot carry on with the work you are willing to do to your property.

Planning Permission For Adding Extra Space To Your Flat

Loft Conversion In A Top Floor Flat

If you intend to do only internal changes during the loft conversion, planning permission may not be required. However, if you want to extend upwards, change the roof’s shape, or make any other external alteration e.g., inserting roof light, you will require planning permission. If you are a leaseholder, you will likely need approval from the landlord, freeholder, or management company. You can prepare a floor plan and lease plan to show the internal and external changes required.

It is always advised that you contact your local council before taking any steps. Some councils have stricter laws than others. If your flat is a listed building, you should seek advice from the local council, as it will require a listed building consent. Keep in mind that works that may affect the historic character of a listed building without permission are a criminal offenses.

Extending A Ground Floor Flat

If you intend to add an extension to your ground floor flat, you must apply for planning permission. There is no permitted development for this type of change for flats and maisonette. With the right architectural designers and planning consultants by your side, it will be easy work.

For the listed building, building consent will need. For buildings located in a conservation area, separate planning permission will need for the demolition of any existing element. The best advice would be that you contact your local planning authority before starting with any planning process. External references Find alocal planning authority.

Other Changes That Will Require Planning Permission

  • Subdividing a house into multiple units of flats, bedsits, or for other purposes.
  • To fit new windows, such as double glazing or windows that differ in size and appearance. You will not need permission to install windows that are identical to the ones that are already there.
  • In certain circumstances, you may need planning permission to install a satellite dish.

Almost for all changes, you will need to follow the Building Regulations and inform the building control authority about the works. If you are a leaseholder, you must inform the landlord or freeholder about the development and take their permission.

The rules of changes in a flat or a maisonette may be a little different than regular houses, and they are not that hard to follow. With the right people by your side, you can make the changes to your flat according to your will.

Leave a Comment